Friday, March 23, 2007

Politics, Economics, Lies and Freakonomics
This is a picture of Delhi School of Economics, or what we call D-School in our college lingo. Aesthetic and with a 'certain intellectual ambience' that it may seem, d-School is a place through which I have undertaken several journeys, both literal and symbolic. I have some excessively beautiful and some ruthlessly painful memories from this place.

D-school is known for the 'variety' of crowd that it attracts. Apart from the students from the Delhi School of Economics and the Faculty of Management Studies, this shared campus is home to hundreds of migrant birds from colleges all across the North Campus everyday. It is here that me and my best friend (from college) started coming at the end of our first year, because some friends of hers (from other colleges) would come here. A lot of people who sat here were and still are pretentious. And no, am not judging. People, who would smoke to look cool and drag others to do the same. People who would not comb their hair to look carefree and hep. People who would come with a guitar instead of college books and gulp down cheap vodka shots infront of MH chicks.

It is here that I learnt to keep my mouth shut infront of people, who pretend to be friends. I understood, that not everyone is worthy enough to know what is happening in your life. Not everyone actually has the ability to understand what you are explaining. It is here that I lost my best friend to the D-school camaraderie. It is here that I made other friends. Who still call and bug me for details about my personal life. It is here that I had first howled when I realised that Nishant was cheating on me. And it is the last place that I had shrieked when Tanya had lied to me about her smoking.

But life has certainly moved on for me. I still see hundreds walking that same old D-school path that I hate so much. The existent routes never change. I have however changed directions.

Btw, the post is inspired from a lot of news coverage that FMS has been generating over some excellent placements. Also, had been remembering a lot of old stuff. Its a strange chain of thought.

4 comments:

Captain Max Gonzalez said...

yeah, u sure have moved on.... thank heavens and me for that.wont even dare to take a stand against your experience but not everybody sitting there is pretentious, some are really LOSERS! pretty rich coming from me, hain na ;)

moonstruck maniac said...

thank god u moved on. but that is not the commendable part. the thing that you didnt lose yourself amidst the bunch and held onto what you really are is what can be called impressive.
great!!!but then alas, the whole of delhi is like that

Sassy Satan said...

@vb: yea, thank you alright. If you would not have bored em to death, I dunno wat would have happened. You are not a loser, and I would not any further, waste my breath on explaining that...

Sassy Satan said...

Moonstruck, yes I didnot lose myself, but I lost people who meant a lot. Which is what snatches the sheen out of that 'impressive' act.

I would not say all, but a lot of Delhites are like that.