Saturday, March 17, 2007

Of words and happenings

But words are words; I never did yet hear
That the bruised heart was pierced through the ear

Shakespeare in Othello 1.3.216

Shakespeare according to me was a crafty writer. In spite of my professors explaining 'x', I end up seeing a lot of 'y' in what he wrote. That is why I think he is crafty; his words seek their identity from the reader, instead of Shakespeare spelling them explicitly. However, I vehemently disagree with this particular thought of Shakespeare.

It so happens...that in my excitement about my last copy (the last story that I gave to my editor) being cent per cent clean I share it with my colleague. In a fit of elderly guidance, she sets me a little test. When I finish my answer, she, (with words that are particularly sugar coated and piercing) explains the 5ws and 1H that I may not know about, since I have never been to journalism school.

Act2, Scene 2

Her: You have to conform to the rules that have been set. Journalistic pieces are written in a certain way. You cannot use your own ideas, even though they may seem logical
Me: But, should reason not follow acceptance
Her: Yes, but it is your inexperience speaking at the moment. You cannot make noises against the established systems
Me: But, the universe also started with a bang. Maybe my style will also become the norm.

Climax, Polite exchanges, Tea time, back to work.

Exeunt

Well, I was not looking to redefine definitions. Neither was I trying to rebel. I was just curious; about judgements and reviews. About how mentalities can create an impasse. About how a single question can change one's life forever.

P.S@ KBC: Nothing changed man!

Thought for the day:

Life's a bitch. So, be a dog.

2 comments:

Gyaan Guru said...

Life has changed
and some lives have changed by a single question the lives of Harshwardhan Navathe - 1st winner of KBC.
Brajesh Dubey - Winner of KBC2 leaving with Rs. 1,00,00,000 when the top prize was Rs. 2,00,00,000
Ravi Saini - Winner of the equally popular series, KBC Junior that featured children under the age of 18 as contestants.
Their lives changed by the last question which gave them 1 crore rupees, and lives will change in future of those who take time to pick up the hone and dial till they get through.. and reach the maximum amount... and its only in KBC that a question changes lives.

my life was changed by a question

"DO YOU WANT TO GO TO BAHRAIN or DO YOU WANT TO GO TO BAHRAIN?" My dad had asked

Sassy Satan said...

Where did you land at last sir? Bahrain or Zahrain?

I ask tens and thousands of questions every day, btu sadly my life does not change. Guess, it only changes for people who answer the question.