Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Rebounding back

Yes, am officially on a rebound. Oh not an emotional one, but one that signifies metaphorically, a lot of what happened in the past few days. I have in fact grown significantly, in terms of my vocabulary and experience. Now I know the difference between enthralled and happy, sad and lonely, angry and volatile. This post, basically brings me back as who I was-- Sassy Satan, albeit a little wiser and perhaps (hopefully), a little more expressive.

Spoiler warning: The post maybe longer than what is expected, bearable and liked.

I noticed how hypnotic the moon was today, but couple of days ago, it was a group of stars that had caught my attention. Twinkling brightly, they were merrier than the kid who tries to count them. They shone and they shone. And they reminded me of the desire that I had. To own a telescope, to see the planets and the stars every night, to have a notebook and make observations. Desires that I had before I realised that someone called Galileo had already lived my dreams ( and received a lot of attention for it).

Jokes apart, from today, there is a new addition to the right side corner of my blog. ' I wish I wish' is a list of things that I have been wanting to buy or do. Now, earrings will remain at the top of that list forever, because that is a fetish that refuses to dilute. About the visit to the zoo-- well I have been trying to do that for a number fo years now, convincing friends and family alike, but to no avail. Maybe I will go alone someday. Have heard a lot about a cute baby hippo there.

Now desires, urm.., are very complex feelings. I have seen people getting trapped in desires forever. But I have also known achievers who have dreamt, desired and attained. For me, my desires are yet very nascent. I know what I want, but more so in thoughts than in a tangible reality. I desire to reach a peak where I can refuse the biggest deal. I desire to be able to laugh as openly, loudly and carelessly as I did when I was younger. And I desire to be able to cross every little heading that I enter in the 'I wish and I wish' column. I actually also want to do this six month cours ein pottery at the Blue Pottery Club. Also want to take up kathak again. Want to attend, at least once, the karvan of sufi singers who tour India once every year. And I desire to be a child again.

Yesterday, being a sunday was a 'strictly family' day. Which is to say that I had a lot of fun. I did a lot of shopping too, but I did enjoy for other reasons too. Now, my mum is particularly finicky about roadside food. But me and bro are brats. Yesterday, after a very long time, I revived some childhood tastes. We had two plates of mirchi wala bhuta (we call it that). However, it is actually boiled corn with a lot of spices, chilli sauce and lemon. Also had sugarcane cubes (cut into pieces). We were fond of these things when we were growing up. However, kids these days revel in american corn and tropicana juice. But, the flavour, the joys and the meories that we felt yesterday are rather hard to put in words. I desire to be a kid again.

Have a lot more to say, but t he post has gone a little awry. There is a story that I wrote ages ago. Thought of sharing it. Everytime I feel a little low, I read it. Because it has a hundrerd reasons behind it that make me smile. And I smile. It is a little longish. So will be putting it up in parts.

The only note that I can conclude is a rather iffy one. My exams begin next tuesday. And I am yet to begin the preparation.

Tadaa!

************************************************************************************

CHAPTER 1

31st January 1983, New Delhi, India

“Congratulations”, beamed the plump nurse. “You have been blessed with a pretty young angel, Mr. Oberoi.” Suddenly, Dr. Sia, the doctor in-charge of Mrs. Oberoi’s case, walked into the waiting lobby. “Yash, your daughter is just stunning,” she complimented.

Dr. Sia had been the Oberoi’s family friend for years. She and Yash had attended school together and had been the best of friends ever since. Today, she was a renowned doctor and Yash, a well established businessman. When Sneh (Yash’s wife) conceived, there was no doubt as to who would handle her case. And today, 8 months and 20 days later, Dr. Sia had delivered Risa.

Though Latin in origin, yet Risa is what Yash had always wanted to christen his daughter. The laughing one, he thought, recalling what it had meant and why it had touched him so much. And, from that day on, aunt Sia’s little stunning beauty was called Risa.

Even after a week since her birth, the smile never left her cute little face and the Oberoi’s affectionately admired the perfect name they had given their daughter.

Just how perfect it was, they would notice years later.

CHAPTER 2


3 months after Risa’s birth, her Aunt Sia shifted to Los Angeles, America as Senior Gynaecologist, Holy Child Hospital. Though, her work kept her engrossed more than ever, yet, she managed to keep record of Risa’s development process.

Sneh and Yash were completely smitten by their little angel. Though, a naughty child like any her age, Risa woke them up in the middle of the night, however, since the day of her birth she had brought an unspoken, unknown glow on their faces. They couldn’t remain one second without seeing her face, and to her those strange faces meant the world.

9 months and 26 days hence, when Risa first uttered “ma”, the first call was trans-Atlantic. “Her phone is on voice mailbox”, said Sneh. “Maybe, she is in the middle of a surgery. I’ll try to contact her again after half an hour. Anyways, I have left her a message to call back ASAP. And Yash, please switch on the voice recorder. I want to capture this moment. See, she said ma before she has said pa. SO, I have won our bet!!”

“Papa”, retorted the little devil for the first time, not letting her father down. “I guess we are equal now”, smirked Yash. “She said ma before papa”, was all Sneh could manage. But anyone observing both of them right now, knew, that the entire meaning of their lives had come true in this very moment.

P.S: I am yet to name this one!

4 comments:

Captain Max Gonzalez said...

u still are a child gariMA, see one of ur wishe has been fulfilled as soon as u cared to put it into words, thats the point. be sure of what u want and then u will realise that u already have a lot! as for ur story, nice begining, dint know that u wrote fiction also

Sassy Satan said...

which wish has been fulfilled? About fiction, you have not known my prowess yet, child. Used to write mushy things back then (I know you are laughing), but have not done so for very long now.

Gyaan Guru said...

Hey i have a namefor your story

Pati, Patni, Woh aur Woh
The first "woh" being the child and the second "woh" the doctor

Captain Max Gonzalez said...

ur wish of being a child again! you are STILL a child